Saturday 26 July 2008

Time together

My boys are away on holiday for a week at their grandparents. They have both really been looking forward to going and they get on so well with my mum and dad. My dad has several places he is going to take them fishing and I know they will have an absolutely brilliant time. No need to worry!

This leaves Alison and I together 'alone' for a whole week. We will miss the boys but I have to say, it is a wonderful opportunity for us to take the time together. It is good to talk without interruptions, do what we want, go where we want, watch what we want, eat what we want and of course bring on the romance. It's brilliant! Hhhmm... what should it be tonight babe? I actually feel like a free man! Shall we eat out at a nice restaurant, go to the cinema, rent a movie, go for a walk, work in our garden, plan for a future holiday.....etc. The list is endless and it's fantastic!

It's in those moments when we are focused on each other I tell her again just how much I love her and reiterate that she is my best friend and I enjoy her company and wouldn't choose to share my life with anyone else. It's going to be a fab week, although we are both working, we are going to make the most of it.

It is not until we spend quality time together like this that I realize that this is time well spent. I think it is a good thing for all couples with children to intentionally create time in our diaries just for us.

For many years we have always had a week together like this. Sometimes we have gone on a weeks holiday but often we have stayed at home. (It doesn't have to cost a fortune!). I think we would both say that doing this has given us the space and time needed for 'us.'

Remember this quote well, 'The grass isn't greener on the otherside of the fence, it's greener where you water it'. Think about this for a while and ask yourself the question, 'What are you doing in your marriage to keep it well watered?'

If you have never done something like this do it, I know you will benefit from it. By the way, your kids just might appreciate you a little bit more in the process!

No comments: