Wednesday 23 July 2008

Be strong and courageous

I was thinking the other day that whenever we see significant progress in our life, church, business or company it is usually because someone made a courageous decision. Just having the title or position as a leader doesn't give a person courage but rather it is courage that gives a leader his position. Do you know that all our staff at MKCC have been courageous in their decision to pursue God's purpose for their life by sacrificing careers, larger salaries, bigger homes and nicer cars for sure! I honour them all and know that there courage and commitment doesn't go unnoticed and make the high capacity leaders in our church.

Do you remember the old song, 'when the going gets tough the tough get going? There will be many tough decision in life we have to make and we need to be courageous. I read something from John Maxwell some time ago that has helped me understand a few truths about courage: (I quote)

1. Courage begins with and inward battle, Courage isn't the absence of fear. It is doing what you are afraid to do.

2. Courage is making things right, not just smoothing them over. martin Luther King, Jr. said, 'The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.'

3. Courage in a leader inspires commitment from followers. 'Courage is contagious,' says evangelist Billy Graham. 'When a brave man takes a stand. the spines of others are stiffened.'

4. Your life expands in proportion to your courage. Roman historian Tacitus said, 'The desire for safety stands against every noble enterprise.' But courage opens doors, and that one of it's most wonderful benefits.

I have personally been inspired by these comments By John Maxwell as I have had to make difficult decisions in my own life and as a leader here at MKCC. The final decision to go after the land adjacent to our existing property and to build new facilities on it was a huge decision that kept me awake for several nights. Then one day I read form Joshua 1 how God commanded him to 'be strong and courageous because the Lord was with him. ' The Holy Spirit quickened my spirit and I knew we were to move forward with our plans. I believe that the courageous decisions as a leadership we have made has inspired all at MKCC to be courageous with us and together I know that we will make history for Jesus in this city.

We will continue to be strong and courageous!

No comments: