Wednesday 19 September 2007

Where did the day go?

I took Wednesday off this week and planned to have a relaxing day just by myself.

Ever planned to do something like that but it never worked out quite the way you planned? This was my day!

Firstly, I waved good bye to my wife and youngest boy as they were off to work and school. My other son happened to be unwell so was off school for the day and so I became a nurse, cook and waiter for the day and it seemed he needed something every 5 minutes. My wife asked me to: ensure the washing was hung on the line to dry, I water all our plants in the green house, I call the school and talk to them and finally put all the garbage out ready for collection. No problem, jobs sorted. After that I would wash my car thoroughly. As I walked into our garage I couldn't believe the mess I saw. Infact, it looked like a stray missle from Iraq had landed right in the middle of it. Bikes, scooters, skatboards, ramps, balls and various toys etc were everywhere. My toolbox was open and tools were scattered across the dusty floor which needed to be swept. So I set about cleaning it all up whilst rehearsing my grand speach to the family around the dinner table that night. When I had finished these tasks, I made myself a nice coffee and sat down. I looked at the clock and couldn't believe where the time had gone, it was almost mid day!

I thought I would check my email quickly while I had a minute to spare. Do the words email and quickly live on the same planet or is that just me! As I opened my inbox, it was like every one I knew had decided to get together and send me mail and demanded an immediate response. I shouted out load....'hold on this is my day off leave me alone!' At that very moment the phone rang, I answered and it was someone in our services on sunday at MKCC looking for some information on Life groups. I had a chat and helped as much as I could and said goodbye. As soon as I put the phone down, it rang again! This time it was an offer of a lifetime, a company offering me a free holiday in a top hotel in Tenerife including flights with no strings attatched. I said no thanks about six times but the girl just wasn't listening, so I put the phone down! It rang and rang that afternoon and annoyed me immensley like a hungy mosquito looking for it's next victim.

I spent time responded to numerous emails, made another coffee, lost about 1/2 stone running up and down the stairs taking care of my boy, vacumed round the house. I looked at the time again and my day has almost Gone. My wife and youngest son will be home soon, Where did my day go?

Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone? To find time for yourself just to relax and switch off is difficult now a days but it is essential for us to do as human beings. We need to make time to relax, reflect and to refuel for our own emotional well being and happiness. Get away from the house, leave behind the computer, your mobile and give yourself back some time. Learn to be still in your life. I believe there is a power in stillness where God affirms his presence and power and where we understand and experience God bringing security, peace and strngth to us. 'Be still and know that I am God.'

If you can't think of anything else creative to do, just go for a walk! That's what I intend to do later.

1 comment:

Billy Ritchie said...

That will teach you to take a day off!