Saturday 29 September 2007

Lessons from my youngest sons football team

Another busy Saturday! The whole family were all up this morning just after 6.00am. My wife getting ready for a ladies breakfast at the church, my eldest son getting ready to go off for the day with friends playing paintball (He was so excited and was as high as a kite) and my youngest son had to to be ready for a football match and I was to be his greatest fan.

What a morning! I rushed around making tea and breakfast and there was such a buzz, were all rushing around: fighting for the shower, getting drinks, looking for clothes and kit, packing snacks, finding weather proofs, sorting out money, packing the cars, feeding the pets etc.. It was like all seasons at once! And we needed to be out of the house at the latest 7.30am Aaargh!!!!

After seeing my wife off and had dropped my hypo eldest son off at the other end of the city, I set off back to the south of the city with my youngest son to his football match. On arrival we parked up and walked through mud and wet grass over to one of the pitches where his team was meeting. It was pretty cold so I was wrapped up in several layers of clothing, had my umberella ready if required and was soon standing there calm and content suping a hot coffee. The game started looked like it was going to be a great match. I have to say, I was so proud of the way he played throughout the game. He played in mid field position and he worked really hard and seemed to dominate the play. He set up all the goals his team scored and seemed to be all over the pitch. Well, I nearly lost my voice screaming for him and my coffee was all over me! The coach was well pleased with his performance and it was no suprise to me that he won man of the match. I was one happy dad!

His team were excellent and they won 5 - 1. They beat a team who was in the top league above theirs. Can you imagine how they all felt. They were ready to take on the world! It struck me again, that can be achieved when a team plays as a team and not as a group of individuals. His team worked hard, they all wanted to win, they talked to one another constantly, they support one another. they listen and respond to instruction from the coach, they stayed positive and encourage each other throughout. Man, don't you wish we could get it together in church like that? Maybe we would achieve a whole lot more together and the buzz is a feeling second to none.

Well the day continues with a host of jobs to do, so I must keep on pressing on...

I am looking forward to church tomorrow as we start our new three week series for our Time2Build focus. Growth calls us forward and excites me. We want to see many people find Christ in a meaningful way in our city and join a great team.

No comments: