Thursday 18 September 2008

Interested or committed?

Years ago I remember reading a book called the One Minute Manager by a guy called Ken Blanchard. This book helped me in my work as a manager working for Tesco's in the South of England at the time. Blanchard wrote, 'There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you are committed to something, you accept no excuses.' I remember working with both kinds of people and it was a joy to work with the committed.

When it comes to work, relationships, church, teams, sports commitment is everything, mere interest alone doesn't work. I think commitment is the one quality that sits above others and enables people to be successful in what they do. I once heard someone say, 'the Kamikaze pilot who was able to fly fifty missions was involved but never committed.'

All I know is that nothing happens without commitment! God is looking for total commitment from us. Does God know you are committed to him today? I love the song we sang on Sunday, 'Undivided, my heart and my life is yours'. That has got to be the reality for all of us at MKCC. We are not playing games here or just doing the religious thing. When it comes to serving Jesus and fulfilling his purposes for my life, as I look at the cross, I fall to my knees in total surrender and renew commitment every time. Whatever it takes Lord and whatever you want me to do I am yours and will obey you.

Let's all make a fresh commitment to Jesus and his purposes for our lives today - right now, do it.

No comments: