Tuesday 30 September 2008

In the hands of the artist

'But now, O Lord, You are our father; we are the clay, and you are the potter; And all we are the work of your hand.' Isaiah 64:8

I was thinking about this verse today and how God has been and is at work in my life over the years. I then begin to think about my responsibility to the people in my life and how I have and am influencing them.

I came across this in interesting story about an English artist named William Wolcott who went to New York in 1924 to record his great impressions of that great city. One morning he was visiting in the office of a former colleague when the urge to sketch came over him. seeing some paper on his friends desk, he asked, 'may I have that?' His friend answered, 'That's not sketching paper. That's ordinary paper. Not wanting to lose the spark of inspiration, Wolcott took the wrapping paper and said, 'nothing is ordinary if you know how to use it.' On that ordinary paper Wolcott made two sketches. Later that same year, one of those sketches sold for $500 and the other for $1000 quite a sum for 1924.

John Maxwell said, 'People under the influence of an empowering person are like paper in the hands of a great artist. No matter what they are made of, they become treasures.'

Let's make a decision to value people around us and with God's help craft a masterpiece!

No comments: