Leadership is primarily about moving forward. Sure, there are times you need to review history, but you can’t let yourself get stuck there. It’s far easier and more comfortable to stay in the past. A leader’s job is to lead the team to a better future.
5 ways to create the future:
- Focus the team on tomorrow’s solutions, not today’s problems
- Reduce distractions, naysayers, and complainers from slowing progress
- Invite all participants to freely speak their minds and welcome all ideas
- Use positive momentum to keep the team moving
- Reinforce behaviors that point the way ahead
It’s always easier to stay where we are comfortable. But don’t become an expert on the problem; become known as someone who drives to a better future. That’s the essence of leadership.