Thursday 9 September 2021

The ABCs of useful feedback

Feedback is essential for growth and development. The only way to grow is to receive feedback that works.

'Humble aspiration craves useful feedback.'

Julie Winkle Giulioni recently published, The ABCs of Soliciting and Accepting Feedback. The below is adapted her approach below.

Abilities

  1. What do you see me doing when I’m most energized?
  2. What strengths or skills enable my most important contribution?
  3. What can you always count on me for? Giulioni

Blind Spots

  1. How might I get in my own way?
  2. How might my strengths work against me? Giulioni
  3. What am I missing? (Put this in a context like leading meetings.)

Conditions

  1. What do I complain about?
  2. What’s happening when I’m at my best?
  3. What situations seem to drain me? Energize me?

Tip: Adapt the above questions when you give feedback. For example, “You seem most energized when you ________.” Include the follow-up, “What makes that so energizing for you?”


No comments: