The name of God is the revelation of who HE is.
"Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory [is] above the earth and heaven." Psa 148:13
God’s name is rvealed in the Old Testament
· El Shaddai (All-Sufficient One, Lord God Almighty)
· El Elyon (The Most High God)
· Adonai (Lord, Master)
· Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah – related to his omnipotence)
· Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner; Our Refuge)
· Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
· Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
· Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
· Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
· Elohim (God; Creator and Judge)
· Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You; who makes you Holy)
· El Olam (The Everlasting God; The ancient of Days, the creator of the universe, the God of
· Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
· Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
· Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
The Bible reveals that God is: All-knowing, All-powerful, Present everywhere, Never changes, Eternal
In Character He is: Love, He is Just, He is Holy, He is true, He is wise, He is good, he is patient, he is merciful, he is gracious!
God is revealed in the New Testament in Jesus the Christ:
‘For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.’ Isaiah 9:6 This prophecy is fulfilled in Jesus, God’s plan.
Jesus is Emmanuel God with us. He is our prophet, our priest and our King. He is our Saviour, He was is lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. He is our redeemer, He is merciful, He is our peace, He is our joy, He is full of Grace and truth. He is our peace, He is the reason for our forgiveness, He is our justifier, He is our sanctifier, He is the giver of all our gifts, He is giver of his Spirit, He is our great shepherd. He is our burden bearer. He is the way the truth and the life. He is the only way to heaven. He is our hope of eternal live, he has conquered sin and death, He defeated the devil, He is the king of Kings, He is the Lord of Lords, He reigns supreme and he is our returning king. When we focus his name and focus on who he is, we are reminded that our Father is Almighty and is indeed above all. And we could go on and on....
God is to be worshiped! The mystery - That God is almighty and Holy yet Jesus instructs us that we can call him 'Father'. 'Abba' meaning daddy! I get to call the creator of the universe ' daddy' - This is HUGE! What a joy to pray!