Tuesday 9 February 2010

Forsaken that we might be forgiven

Wept today as I was impacted by God's love for me and you!

Read Luke 23:32-49

If you are like me, I have heard and read this story many times. Yet the significance of this heart wrenching scene is often missed. This was not just a good teacher or a prophet being crucified for his beliefs. It was Jesus the messiah, God in human form who hung on a cross, bridging the gap between sinful people and a holy God.

Matthew's gospel tells us when Jesus hung on the cross he cried out, 'My God my God, why have you forsaken me?' Many Bible scholars believe that this marked the very moment at which God placed the sins of the world upon his son. A Holy God had to turn his face and pour out his wrath upon his own son! Jesus, received the wages that were due us. In those moments Jesus was alone and the ear of the father closed so that it might never be closed to us.

Thank you Jesus. I am ruined by your grace forever!

No comments: