Some great advice, that I intend to work with in 2017.
'Work to improve one aspect of your leadership and make a few obvious improvements. Then turn your attention to something else, don't get stuck in one place tweaking the same thing!'
10 steps on the journey to improvement:
- Identify and maximize high impact activities. Make a list of everything you’re doing. Rank each item on the list by the impact it has on desired results. Use a scale of one to ten.
- Choose one high impact activity to improve this month or quarter. You might improve your one-on-ones or strengthen relationships on your teams. You might decide to address a pain point, seize an opportunity, or maximize someone’s strengths.
- Determine an outcome.
- Identify behaviors that might achieve desired results.
- What behaviors might hinder desired results? (What do you need to stop?)
- Choose a time-frame that provides a sense of urgency, a month or quarter.
- Evaluate at the end of the time-frame.
- What did you try?
- How did it work?
- Celebrate progress. Reject the need for perfection.
- Stabilize and systematize.
- Focus on improving something else. Return to improve the same area in six months.
- Identify and minimize low impact activities on your list. Yes, you still have to fill out reports.