Leading people is a great PRIVILEGE and an honour. There is so much more going on than just getting ta project or task done - There is a person, a life, emotions, a family, ASPIRATIONS & dreams!
I'll say it as it is - some Some leaders are jerks!
When it comes to leadership, the good news is, you can have heart and lead.
7 ways to lead with compassion:
- Courageously commit to be human. We all know posturing and image-building is fear and fakery. The world doesn’t need another fraud, it needs you.
- Connect with yourself. Compassion for others is born in personal experiences, struggles, and challenges. Have you failed? Embrace it. Do you struggle? Feel it.
- Allow others to feel. Don’t minimize emotion. Say, “I see this means a lot to you,” for example.
- Rise above your inner fixer. Let yourself feel compassion, but don’t feel the need to fix everyone. Fixing people is more arrogance than compassion.
- Be tough and compassionate at the same time. Fear makes us believe that saying hard things requires detachment. It’s the opposite. The tougher you have to be, the more tenderness you must feel.
- Beware drama. Some use emotion to gain attention. They’re energy vampires. Be tough with those who persist in “woe is me” behaviors.
- Commit to more than results. Work to enhance the well-being of teammates, employees, customers, and the larger community.
Successful leaders enhance the well-being of others.